WHAT IS ELIGIBILITY FOR ADOPTION?
As for the National Adoption, also for the International one, the court for the Minors makes inquiries of psycho-social nature , relying on social services, Asl etc. to evaluate the suitability of the couple to adopt a child. Other sanitary investigations are also arranged that are addressed to the public security authorities.
In particular it is necessary that:
- spouses who require eligibility have been married for at least three years , or who have been married for less time, may prove to have lived in a stable and continuous way before marriage for a period of three years. For example, those who have lived together for at least three years can adopt a child immediately after marriage. Stable cohabitation is demonstrable by exhibiting a family status certificate.
- at the time of application for eligibility for adoption no separation between spouses in the three years prior to the application must be made, not even in fact.
- the age of the couple must be at least eighteen years old and no more than forty – five the age of the child, with the possibility of derogation in some serious cases. Adoption is not excluded when the age limit is exceeded by only one of the adopters of not more than ten years. Another exception is when the adoption concerns a brother already adopted by the couple.
WHAT VALIDITY DOES THE APPLICATION FOR ELIGIBILITY?
The application must be presented in plain paper, accompanied by documents that certify the possession of the required requisites and, in the case of international adoption, has a validity of one year .
WHICH DOCUMENTS SHOULD BE ATTACHED TO THE APPLICATION?
As with national adoption, the spouses must attach the following documents to the application:
- birth certificate of the spouses;
- family status ;
- declaration of consent to the adoption of the ascendants (the future grandparents) of the applicants, as established for the substitutive declaration of a notarial deed. In the event of their death it is necessary to attach the death certificate of the applicants’ parents and the medical certificate attesting to them;
- mod.101, mod. 740 or paycheck ;
- certificate of the judicial register of both spouses;
- notorious deed or substitutive declaration with the attestation that between the adoptive spouses there is no personal separation, not even in fact;
- clinical examinations attesting to the good health of future parents, together with certification of public structure that excludes TB, HIV, venereal and cardiovascular diseases;
Once the Juvenile Court is in possession of all the necessary information issues the decree of suitability .
At this point the couple can contact an Authorized Body to proceed with the adoption in the foreign state.
The couple will be asked to go abroad to meet the child to whom, based on age and availability, has been matched.
If the meetings with the child have a favorable outcome, the procedure provides for the return to Italy of the couple and the child.